Teenager Almost Lost His Legs After Dipping In The Beach, Shares His Traumatic Experience To Warn Others

Heads up, beach lovers! The story of this Australian athlete whose foot was covered with blood after taking a dip on the ocean will surely keep you out of the ocean for some time.

One fateful afternoon the 16-year-old Sam Kaniyzay decided to take a dip in Dendy Street Beach in Brighton, Melbourne to take a cool off after playing football.

After about half an hour in the water, Sam’s legs suddenly felt numb and tingly. He first assumed that it was due to playing football earlier, but when he went out of the water, he noticed his legs were covered in blood.

He narrated:

My first instinct was that I must have stepped on a rock. But I realized that couldn’t have been it, because it was evenly distributed over my whole ankle and foot. I wasn’t really thinking about being eaten.”

"My first instinct was that I must have stepped on a rock," Sam told The Age. "But I realized that couldn't have been it, because it was evenly distributed over my whole ankle and foot.""I wasn't really thinking about being eaten."

"We had the emergency room full of everybody that was working there just fascinated, they were all on Google afterwards, hypothesising as to what happened. They pretty much had 10 different hypotheses but nothing yet," Jarrod told The Age. Jarrod said he often swam at the beach "and I haven't seen this happen before".

When Sam walked home to wash the blood from his legs, it still wouldn’t stop bleeding so his father, Jarrod rushed him to the hospital. Jarrod said, “We had the emergency room full of everybody that was working there just fascinated, they were all on Google afterwards, hypothesising as to what happened. They pretty much had 10 different hypotheses but nothing yet.”

Jarrod admitted that he often goes to the beach and have not experienced such bleeding before. After almost 24 hours, Sam’s wounds continue to bleed so he remained in the hospital until Monday.

So Jarrod went to the said beach to finally answer the mystery surrounding his son’s wounds. There he saw some raw steak and a net.

It turned out that Sam’s legs were probably eaten by sea fleas. Jarrod revealed, “We found thousands of little mite-type creatures in our net. We put them in an Esky and brought them home and looked at them intently and let them swim in white dishes with red meat. Interestingly, overnight they’ve essentially all clung to the meat and have been busy overnight eating it.”

Dr. Genefor Walker-Smith, a marine scientist from Museum Victoria checked the bugs caught by Jarrod and confirmed that it was sea fleas; he also said that these bugs are common in Australian and even around the world. He added: “They’re there all the time; you could put a piece of meat in the water, anywhere in the bay, and you could find them. I think this is quite a rare thing. I really just think [Sam] was in the wrong place at the wrong time, probably.”

She told The Age the fleas were the most likely culprit for Sam's wounds. She added that the number of bites was unusual but that sea fleas are common both in Australia and around the world. "They're there all the time; you could put a piece of meat in the water, anywhere in the bay, and you could find them," Dr Walker-Smith said."I think this is quite a rare thing. I really just think [Sam] was in the wrong place at the wrong time, probably."Dr Walker-Smith said the fleas were no cause of alarm but that swimmers should avoid swimming near dead fish which the fleas feed on.A Victorian Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning spokesman said sea fleas were a "common and natural part of a healthy marine ecosystem" that "keep our marine waters clean by consuming dead and dying marine animals"."DELWP advises swimmers to wear a wetsuit with boots to reduce the risk of being exposed to sea fleas and avoid swimming at night."

Meanwhile, a Victorian Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning spokesman said that “sea fleas were a common and natural part of a healthy marine ecosystem that keep our marine waters clean by consuming dead and dying marine animals”.

They also advise swimmers avoid swimming at night and wear wet suit with boots to avoid being exposed to sea fleas.

Brighton local community expressed different reactions with Sam’s experience. Members of local sports club were advised to stay out of water until his case was solved while many locals refused to swim on the ocean after learning about what caused Sam’s injuries.

Source: Buzz Feed News